Rats can cause extensive damage to property and carry diseases and parasites.  Most people think of using rat poison to get rid of these rodents.  Before you decide to use this method, consider the dangers associated with rat poison.

 

Risk to Children

Leaving bait traps or containers with rat poison in areas occupied by children can lead to disastrous results.  Children are naturally curious, and an unfamiliar object attracts their attention.  Some rat poison comes in the shape of pellets, which looks like candy to children.  Even worse, the rat poison tastes sweet, giving children more reason to try it.  Incidents involving children eating rat poison have increased forty percent over the past ten years.  This is an alarming statistic.

 

Risk to Pets                                                                    

There is a large risk that your family pet will try to eat rat poison that is left unattended.  Pets can often reach objects that you think are out of reach.  There is always the chance that your pet will find the rat poison that you thought was well hidden.

 

Health Risks of Dead Rats

 

There are two types of rat poison:  anticoagulant and non-anticoagulant.  Anticoagulant rat poison, such as those made with warfarin, brodificoum, or bromadiolone, work by causing internal bleeding in rats.  This type of rat poison usually takes two to six days to kill a rat.  Non-anticoagulant rat poisons are usually made with zinc phosphide, bromethalin, or cholecalciferon.  These poisons can kill rats within a few hours.

Rat poison does not kill rats instantly, allowing them to travel back to their hiding places.  Sometimes this means they die inside your walls.  After a few days, this will cause a terrible odor.  This also means that you need to remove the dead rat.  Handling dead rats puts you at risk for contracting any number of diseases that the rats are carrying.

 

 A Safe Alternative to Rat Poison

The Victor Electronic Rat trap is safe for use anywhere in the home and can be used for years to ensure effective rat control. It is ideal for attics, garages, basements and sheds. The trap has no poisons or chemicals, but please use caution when using around children and pets.

Share on Facebook